Thursday 7 April 2011

Two tramps in a garbage truck. Two bankers in a Mercedes

Being an Arsenal fan at the moment is a bit like that famous poem, I wouldn't go as far to say that being a gooner is the equivalent to being a tramp, bit you do wonder about the greener grass.

Ol' Fernando may be the most expensive flop since NASA's Apollo 12, but at one point you know he will fire in a winner in an important game. Now take Wayne Rooney for example, I hate that Scouse dole bender as much as anyone, and he may be a few million quid a part from appearing on Jeremy Kyle, but it has to be said, when the chance came he buried it, with beautiful aplomb.

The same however cannot be said for Nicky Bendtner a few weeks ago against those wretched Catalonians... Was I surprised? Not in the slightest. Would I have been surprised if Javier Hernandes missed that chance? The answer would be yes.

The point I am making is that this squad has a lot of deadwood in it and although I don't see signing £20 million squad players as the answer (yes, I am an AKB), leadership is without question the problem. If project youth is to take fruition then the much anticipated Lansbury, JET and co must be given a chance ahead of the deadwood next season... Then and only then can project youth be deemed a failure.

No comments:

Post a Comment